Car Insurance Brantford, ON
Car Insurance Details
- Do I Need Comprehensive and Collision?
- Want to Save on Your Insurance?
- Factors to Consider with Insurance
If you drive an older car, you might opt to forego comprehensive and collision coverage. Here’s a look at each option.
Comprehensive coverage is generally for situations when your car is not running—for instance, if it is damaged while parked. Typically, perils such as the following are covered:
- Falling objects
- Broken windshields
- Fire damage
- Natural disasters
- Animal collisions
Not all perils are covered, so check the fine print for exclusions.
Collision coverage applies in cases when your car is involved in an accident with a stationary object or another vehicle. It applies in many car accident situations, but it won’t apply in cases where a tree falls and hits your vehicle (comprehensive should).
Consider factors such as the value of your vehicle, the cost of the coverage, how important peace of mind is to you and how often/how far you drive. If you have a car loan, the lender likely requires that you have at least comprehensive coverage.
A general rule of thumb is this: If your deductible and yearly premium equal or exceed your car’s value, then comprehensive and collision coverage may not be worth it. Still, these two types of coverage add extra layers of protection for little additional cost.
Two other types of optional insurance are all perils and specified perils. With specified perils coverage, you receive compensation for certain events such as fire or theft. With all perils, you get additional theft coverage plus what you get with collision and comprehensive.
Saving money always sounds good! There are several ways to keep the costs of your car insurance in Brantford low. For example, you could:
- Bundle multiple policies (car, home, etc.) with one insurer
- Limit how much you drive
- Avoid high-risk drivers on your policy
- Use anti-theft devices
- Use a telematics device to show your good driving habits
- Drive safely
- Maintain a clean driving record
Generally, the cost of your car insurance in Brantford will depend on where the auto is garaged, your age, gender and driving history.
When you’re looking at insurance options for your car, ask yourself a few questions.
- Is your car a classic?
- What’s the replacement cost of the car?
- Do you drive out of the country? (If so, you may need worldwide coverage.)
- Do you have pricey electronic equipment in the car?
- Do you belong to an organization that already offers discounted towing and labour?
With certain types of insurance, you can get coverage for electronic equipment, towing, labour, windshield breakage, glass breakage and much more.