Car Insurance: Saint John, NB
Car Insurance Details
In New Brunswick, you are required to carry automotive insurance minimums in order to legally register and drive your car. Here are the basic requirements:
- Third-party liability insurance. You are required to carry $200,000 in third-party liability insurance on your vehicle. Without the minimum coverage, you will not be able to register your car.
- Direct compensation property damage (DCPD) coverage. You are also required to have DCPD insurance that covers you when your car is damaged and another driver is found to be at fault. Under DCPD, you will collect benefits from your own insurer even if someone else caused the damage.
- Uninsured and unidentified insurance. As a motorist in New Brunswick, you must hold uninsured and unidentified insurance. This is a type of coverage that protects you if you're involved in an incident with a driver who is uninsured or with a driver who cannot be identified.
If you live in Saint John, you are required by law to carry the above levels of auto insurance at a minimum. If you are in an accident and don't have the proper insurance, you can face fines, jail time, and license suspension.
Although car insurance in Saint John is quite affordable, there are still some ways to save money. Here are some tips for getting the best rate:
- Always pay your premiums on time. You can avoid late fees and fines by creating a habit of always paying your bill on time.
- Take the time to shop around for the best policy. HUB International can help you sort through the confusing jargon and find the best plan for your needs.
- Drive a car with updated safety and security features. These cars vehicles are generally less to insure.
- Drive safely and do your best to keep a good driving history. Drivers with fewer accidents, claims, and convictions have lower insurance premiums.
Insurers may also offer discounts for various actions or achievements. For example, you may be eligible for a discount on car insurance in Saint John if you own a hybrid car or a car with advanced anti-theft systems. Most companies also award discounts if you bundle your insurance policies. Usually, you can insure multiple cars or bundle your home and auto insurance with the same company to get lower rates.
Finding the Right Coverage for You
It's important to find a policy and an insurance company that has your interest at heart.
If you are involved in a traffic accident, you will have to deal with your own insurance company, regardless of who's at fault. This is due to New Brunswick's no-fault system. At HUB International, we know your lifestyle is unique, so there is no one-size-fits-all insurance plan. To find your perfect match, simply contact us today.