Fitness Professionals Insurance
Tone up with an easy and affordable liability insurance solution just for you
Chat with HUB’s virtual assistant 24/7 to get answers to basic questions or to complete your application for insurance. If our assistant can’t answer your question, it will refer to you to our team of experts.
Liability insurance is essential protection should someone claim that an injury or damage to their property was caused by your negligence, mistake or oversight. Liability coverage helps you with the cost of defending and settling such a claim.
HUB has been providing specialized insurance solutions to fitness professionals for more than 25 years. Let us help you protect yourself with general liability insurance tailored to your needs.
IMPORTANT NOTE for Provincially registered fitness leaders certified by National Fitness Leadership Alliance (NFLA) members BCRPA, NSFA, SPRA, MFC, OFC, FNB (Provincially Certified (Class 1)): You automatically receive $2 million in Commercial General Liability insurance coverage through HUB International Insurance Brokers. However, this coverage does not apply when you work as a personal trainer.
Eligibility to Buy Insurance Online
- Provincially Certified (Class 1) personal trainers can purchase insurance online if they are a Canadian resident over 18 years of age.
- Other fitness professionals (Other Certification (Class 2)) can purchase insurance online if they are certified by one of our approved certifying bodies and are a Canadian resident over 18 years of age.
If the organization that issued your certification is not listed on this site, contact HUB to arrange coverage offline.
Coverage Term and Premium
You can purchase this insurance at any time. Your coverage will begin on the day you make your purchase and will stay in place for 12 months.
The insurance premium under this program is non-refundable. If you cancel your policy, you will not receive any money back.
We will not pay for any loss or expense caused directly or indirectly by or resulting from the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
It is understood and agreed that this policy does not cover any loss caused by, contributed to by or attributable to, directly or indirectly, a Communicable Disease or fear or threat of a Communicable Disease.
This program is for LIABILITY coverage ONLY. It protects the insured fitness professional when negligent acts and/or omissions result in bodily injury and/or property damage to a third party. The policy DOES NOT cover injury to the insured instructor themselves or damage to the insured instructor’s property/equipment (Property coverage); errors and omissions causing financial damage (vs property damage or physical injury) to another person (Errors & Omissions coverage); or cyber liability. Contact HUB to inquire about or arrange for these other important coverages.
- Coverage applies only to Canada.
- Coverage is NOT available for instruction of professional athletes, carded amateur athletes, and activities for which you are not certified by one of our approved certifying bodies
- If you conduct Zumba classes, you must purchase Dance Instructors Insurance unless you are certified through our eligible certifying bodies to instruct Zumba.
- Coverage does not extend to work-related rehabilitation of any condition.
- Coverage is not extended to tanning beds.
- You are required to confirm the following:
- All trainees under your instruction complete a PAR-Q, PAR-Q+ or Get Active Questionnaire once per year;
- If a trainee is directed to consult with a physician upon completion of the questionnaire, they provide you with authorization in writing from the physician confirming it is acceptable for the trainee to participate in the proposed activity.
- When biking, all trainees under your instruction wear helmets and, if biking between dusk and dawn, wear reflective clothing, have their bicycle equipped with lights and have the lights turned on.
- Coverage does not extend to studios (including home studios)/facilities the applicant owns, leases or rents on a long term basis. Should you require premises related coverage, contact one of our advisors.
- Coverage does not extend to abuse related claim scenarios. Click here to view the exclusion.
- Coverage under this program is afforded only to the individual, not employees, and only for the activity(ies) declared in the application. If you require coverage for other activities/business not declared in the application, contact HUB.
- You are advised to review the Coverage Summary (below) and read the policy wording you’ll receive upon purchase. If you have any questions related to coverage structure or require an explanation of the coverage provided on this policy, contact HUB.
Commercial General Liability:
- Limits of $1,000,000, $2,000,000 and $5,000,000 are available for purchase online
- Note: NFLA member certified fitness leaders automatically receive $2,000,000 but this does not cover work as a personal training
- Deductible: $0.00 Bodily Injury/Property Damage
- Injury to participants (no Professional Liability Exclusion for bodily injury losses only)
- Personal Injury: limit matches General Liability (ie., $1M, $2M or $5M)
- Advertising Injury: limit matches General Liability (ie., $1M, $2M or $5M)
- Tenants Legal Liability: $250,000
- Medical Payments: $2,500 per person
- Products/Completed Operations
- Employer's LiabilityCross Liability/Severability of Insured's
- Incidental Medical Malpractice
- Occurrence Property Damage
- Blanket Contractual - provides coverage when you enter into an insured contract
- Broad Form Property Damage
- Owners and Contractors Protective - covers the insured's liability for bodily injury and property damage caused, in whole or in part, by an independent contractor's work for the insured
- Tanning / Toning beds
- Sanction limitation
- Contagion exclusion
- Infrared sauna
- Hot / Bikram Yoga
- Asbestos (total exclusion)
- Limited fungi and fungal
- Derivatives coverage
This program is written by Certain Lloyd's Underwriters through Markel Canada Limited. Learn more at Markel Canada.Buy Now
As provincially registered fitness leader certified by one of the following National Fitness Leadership Alliance (NFLA) members:
BCRPA, NSFA, SPRA, MFC, OFC, FNB
you automatically receive $2 million in Commercial General Liability insurance coverage through HUB International Insurance Brokers. This insurance program complements existing coverage provided by some facilities and ensures that you have adequate coverage wherever you instruct in-person (in your home province or other parts of Canada) as long as you work within the Scope of Practice outlined below for the province in which you are certified.
This program DOES NOT automatically include coverage for online training. Please contact your provincial certifying body to add on and pay for online training. Please note, you must agree to follow the online training terms and conditions as detailed on this document: NFLA Online Training & FAQ
This program DOES NOT cover you when you work as a personal trainer. You must purchase additional coverage and you can do so online from this website. Scroll down for more information.
|British Columbia||Saskatchewan||Manitoba||Ontario||New Brunswick*||Nova Scotia|
|Yoga Fitness EXCLUDING Bikram Yoga and Inversion Asanas||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|3rd Age Fitness/Older Adult Fitness||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Pre & Post Natal Fitness||✔||✔|
|Youth Fitness Leader||✔|
|Download your Confirmation of Insurance||BCRPA||SPRA||NFLA Manitoba||OFC||NFLA New Brunswick||NFLA Nova Scotia|
NOTE that if your provincial registration expires, you are no longer covered under this insurance program. If you apply for an extension, you will not be insured for the period between your registration expiration date and renewal date.
Insurance for Personal Trainers
The NFLA and NFLA member program does not cover you when you work as a personal trainer. However, an additional policy covering strictly personal training is available from HUB and can be purchased online. Premiums vary based on the limit of liability you choose and are outlined below.
|Add online training (OPTIONAL)
*You must agree to the following terms and conditions (Online Training National Fitness)
(Applicable Taxes Not Included)Buy Now
Fitness professionals certified by the following certifying bodies can purchase Class 2 coverage online.
Annamalai University Canada (Yoga Only)
Baby & Me Fitness
Downward Dog Yoga Centre (Modules 1 a 2)
Embody School of Pilates
Feel Good Yoga & Pilates
Fit 4 Two
FIT CHICKS Academy
Health and Fitness Alliance (HFA)
Helene Roy Pilates
International Fitness Association
International Society of Yoga Education (ISYE)
International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA)
Maureen Rae's 8-Week Internship Program
Maureen Rae's RYT
National Academy of Sports Medicine
Ontario Fitness Council (OFC)
Ontario Yoga Association
Pilates Method Alliance (PMA)
The Pilates Process
Rainbow Kids Yoga
Sattva Yoga Shala and United Yoga Montreal
Second Wind Pilates Plus
Urban Poling Level 1
World Instructor Training Schools (W.I.T.S.)
Yes To Strength (YTS)
Yoga Alliance or Yoga Association of Alberta (YAA)
Yoga Source & Therapy Studio (Yoga Only)
Coverage can be purchased for online instruction for an additional premium when completing your purchase subject to the following:
- All participants must be registered clients and attendance must be recorded by the instructor.
- Instructors must keep record of the following information for each online class conducted:
- Date and time of the course
- Instructor’s remote location, bearing in mind facilities are closed
- Class Content (activities to be conducted)
- Number of Participants (ensure all participants are current registered clients before the start of the session)
- Publicly-accessible broadcast tools such Facebook Live, YouTube, Instagram Live, etc. and pre-recorded videos are not acceptable methods of delivering online training
- Permitted delivery tools must include the use of controlled, multi-screen video conferencing programs such as Skype or Zoom (ZOOMUS)
- Class is limited to the number of participants that can be viewed on a single screen and no more than four (4) participants in one location while following the Provincial Physical Distancing Guidelines
- All injuries are to be documented
- Instruction to professional athletes and carded amateur athletes is strictly prohibited
- Coverage does not extend to work related rehabilitation of any condition
For personal trainers, fitness instructor specialists, group/class fitness instructors, yoga instructors, Pilates instructors, sport conditioning specialists, and barre instructors.
|Optional Online Coverage||Add $35||Add $40||Add $60|
(Applicable Taxes Not Included)
For wellness and nutrition specialists, aquatic fitness trainers, Fit 4 Two, pre- and postnatal coaches, squash instructors, tennis instructors.
|Optional Online Coverage||Add $40||Add $50||Add $75|
(Applicable Taxes Not Included)Buy Now