If you’re like many Canadians, your cottage is your home away from home. But did you know that insurance for your vacation property works a bit differently than insurance for your primary residence?

Similar, but different

Because many cottages and vacation homes are used only seasonally, coverage is usually more limited. Vacation property insurance is almost always provided as a named perils policy instead of a comprehensive policy.

  • NAMED PERILS: Provides coverage only for the specific perils stated in your policy. Typical perils include fire, explosion and smoke damage.
  • COMPREHENSIVE: Covers both the building and its contents for all risks (except for those specifically excluded).

Coverage to consider

Third-party liability coverage

Even if you have a “fixer-upper” and the building is worth little, you need third-party liability coverage to protect yourself in case someone gets hurt on your property or you cause damage to neighbouring properties.

Contents coverage

Some insurance packages automatically include contents up to a certain limit, which applies to items kept permanently at the vacation home. Anything taken back and fourth – e.g., clothing – is covered by your primary home insurance policy. You can also purchase extra coverage if needed.

Detached private structures

Some insurance packages include a limited amount of coverage for any outbuildings, including boathouses, garages or sheds, but you may choose to buy additional coverage to ensure that you are fully protected.

Related Coverages

Ask an Advisor

Find answers to all of your insurance questions by asking one of our advisors. We'll sharpen your skills to help you shop for, compare, buy, and manage your various options and policies.





HUB International is dedicated to keeping you informed on risk management and insurance news.

Click here to consent to receiving emails from HUB International and subscribe to communications that you would like to receive.


Nameet Aggarwal

Senior Insurance Advisor
Specializing in insurance solutions for the South Asian Community and fluent in Hindi, Urdu and Punjabi

Direct Line: 905-582-7011
Toll Free: 800-263-2383 x7011  

Jae Jang

Personal Insurance Advisor
Specializing in coverages for the Korean community and fluent in Korean

Direct Line: 905-582-7063
Toll Free: 800-263-2383 x7063  

Sarah Brown

Personal Insurance Advisor
Specializing in coverages for Members of The Canadian Real Estate Investment Group Inc.

Direct Line: 905-582-7186
Toll Free: 800-263-2383 x7186  

Daniel Prosia

Personal Insurance Advisor, Group Sales
Specializing in services for our Group Home & Auto Clients

Direct Line: 905-582-7172
Toll Free: 800-263-2383 x7172  

Brenton McAnuff

Personal Insurance Advisor, Group Sales
Specializing in services for the Boaters Assist Program, Group Home & Auto Clients and fluent in French

Direct Line: 905-582-7019
Toll Free: 800-263-2383 x7019