Take the following steps prior to a storm and be sure to review your current insurance program with your HUB broker to prepare for potential claims.
Before the Hurricane or Storm
- Protect your property. Board-up windows and remove or tie down any exterior equipment.
- Protect your physical records. Tarp your essential documents to keep them from exposure to the elements.
- Take pictures. Take thorough pictures of your property, inventory, roof and all building renovations. This is essential for the claims process to minimize any 'pre-existing' condition arguments made by the insurance company.
- Back-up business-critical information. Your database and records are key to your business. Make full copies and keep the copies off-site. These records are essential to mitigate your exposure and in documenting your claim.
- Keep a complete copy of your insurance policies. Consult with your HUB Account Service team member to make sure you have appropriate and adequate coverage in place.
- Have a response team in place. Speak with your HUB Claims Management team to put together your first response team in the event you sustain damage as a result of the hurricane or storm.
After the Hurricane or Storm
- Document the damage. Take post-loss pictures and/or video, including the debris pile, prior to any clean-up.
- Protect your property from further damage. Contact your first response team to perform emergency work such as putting up tarps, pulling wet drywall and carpet to prevent mold, water extracting and drying, boarding up openings and protective fencing to protect your belongings and keep others from getting hurt.
- Rent equipment. If necessary, you should arrange to rent equipment (IE: generators, boilers, water heaters) to restore your operation.
- Beware of contractors asking you to sign contracts for non-emergency services. You should not make any permanent repairs to build your business until your insurance carrier has assessed the scope of the damage as well as the cost allowed for the repair/replacement of the damage.
- Document all your post-loss activities. Document and retain all receipts of post-loss actions.
- Click here to download the Hurricane and Storm Preparedness for your Business checklist.
- Click here to download HUB International's Five-Day Hurricane/Storm Preparedness Plan for your Business